A Code Blue extreme weather homelessness response had been called for tonight (Thursday 19 September) due to predicted extreme wind and cold conditions, to provide shelter for people across the state sleeping rough.
Human Services Minister Michelle Lensink said the Code Blue has been activated across the state, to give people access to overnight shelter and additional services.
“Severe weather and strong winds have been predicted across the state, with thunderstorms predicted this evening,” said Minister Lensink.
“The Code Blue has been activated to help people who are sleeping rough to stay warm and dry tonight."
“Housing SA is working with its regional partners across the state to ensure shelter and outreach services are available.”
In Adelaide, services include:
• Baptist Care’s Westcare Centre will be open overnight from 5pm tonight through to 7am,
Friday, 20 September 2019. The Westcare Centre is located at 11/19 Millers Ct Adelaide.
• Hutt St Centre at 258 Hutt St will extend its operating hours until 5pm tonight.
• Trace a Place (SYC) will extend its operating hours until 7pm tonight.
• Street to Home will increase staffing levels and undertake street work to engage with
people sleeping rough throughout the Code Blue period.
• The Homelessness Gateway Service will continue to operate 24/7. Anyone who is
homeless or at risk of homelessness is encouraged to contact the Homelessness Gateway
on 1800 003 308.
In regional areas, anyone who needs assistance should also call the Homelessness Gateway on 1800 003 308.
“I thank everyone involved in providing these homelessness services for their work assisting our most vulnerable community members during the extreme weather,” said Minister Lensink.