South Australians will help Queensland communities get back on their feet after the devastating floods across the state.
The State Government’s SA Housing Authority has responded to a request for assistance from Queensland authorities and will this week send staff to help with the recovery operation in the region affected by monsoonal floods.
The Authority put the call out for help to staff last week and about 30 staff are expected to head interstate, from as early as this week and over the next five weeks to March 21. Minister for Human Services Michelle Lensink said South Australia has a proud history of assisting communities across Australia to recover from natural disasters.
“Our services here in South Australia are second to none when it comes to helping communities recover from emergencies like bushfires and floods,” said Minister Lensink.
“I am confident that the housing and other government staff who opt to go to Queensland to help the devastated communities will do an outstanding job."
“They will provide assistance to affected people both at recovery centres and as a part of outreach services."
“The Authority is the lead government agency in South Australia when it comes to emergency relief from disasters, and many of its staff have experience helping South Australians recover from natural disasters, including events in recent years like the Pinery
and Sampson Flat fires."
“South Australian housing and other government staff were last deployed to Queensland in April 2017 to help communities recover from Cyclone Debbie.”
Staff will be deployed to Queensland for a minimum of two weeks, supported with predeployment training, co-ordinated by the Authority.