East End And West End Levy

01 Apr 2004 questionsarchive
A question put forward to the Hon. T.G. ROBERTS (Minister for Aboriginal Affairs and Reconciliation)regarding proposed levy on business and residents in the East End and West End precints of Adelaide.

The Hon. J.M.A. LENSINK: I seek leave to make a brief explanation before asking the Minister for Aboriginal Affairs and Reconciliation, representing the Minister for Tourism, a question about a proposed levy on business and residents in the East End and West End precincts of Adelaide.

Leave granted.

The Hon. J.M.A. LENSINK: The Adelaide City Council allocates $20 000 to each of its nine precincts, with Rundle Mall receiving additional funds via a separate levy. It has been reported in the City Messenger that the East End Coordination Group and the West End Traders Association have approached Adelaide City Council regarding imposing a new levy for their precincts to provide funds over and above what they receive from the council and through membership of their associations. It is envisaged that the funds will assist in marketing capital works and other means of increasing the level of retail trade in the areas. My questions to the minister are:

1. Has she been approached by either of these groups regarding this issue?

2. What strategies does she have in place to support the further growth of business and the arts in the East End and West End precincts?

3. Will the government take any action if the Adelaide City Council does not agree to the request of the East End and West End associations?

The Hon. T.G. ROBERTS (Minister for Aboriginal Affairs and Reconciliation): I will take these important questions to the minister in another place and bring back a reply.



(Monday 4 April 2005)

In reply to Hon. J.M.A. LENSINK (1 April 2004).

The Hon. T.G. ROBERTS: The Minister for Agriculture, food and Fisheries has provided the following information:

Under section 154 the Local Government Act 1999, a council can impose a separate rate within a part of the area of council “for the purpose of planning, carrying out, making available, supporting, maintaining or improving an activity that is, or is intended to be, of particular benefit to the land, or the occupiers of the land, within that part of the area, or to visitors to that part of the area.

Before introducing a new separate rate, a council must engage in public consultation that includes the public notice of the preparation of a report, holding a public meeting and consideration by the elected body of submissions made at the public meeting and in writing.

A separate rate based on property value may be imposed at the discretion of the council. A separate rate based on other proportional measures, such as equal proportions, requires prior approval of the Minister for State/Local Government Relations.

The Adelaide City Council currently imposes a separate rate as a Rundle Mall Environs Separate Rate based on property value.

The Adelaide City Council issued a report on the proposed separate rates for the East End and West End and held 6 Public meetings in March 2004.

It is unlikely that the Government will become involved in this issue as it is a matter for the council.